Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 19th November 2008 at 7.30pm in The Nelson Suite of the Village Hall.

 

 

ACTION

Present

Vice Chairman David Hook, Liz Allen, Debbie Ashford, Hamish Rose and Clerk - Ian Nelson. 

 

 

Members of the public present                                                                                                       

Mr B Lincoln, Mrs I Lincoln, Mrs Hilary Battye, Miss Marjorie Emery, Mrs Mary Kaye     and Mr Crispin Jones.

 

 

Apologies

Apologies were received from County Councillor Stella Rice, Geoffrey Moulton, Kevin Cunningham.

 

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting on 16th October 2008 were approved and signed.

 

 

 

Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNAP)

They were unable to attend.

 

 

 

Public Participation

 

The Hempnall Trust

Mr Lincoln referred to the points made in his letter re the Hempnall Trust. Concerns were also expressed by Miss Emery verbally and by letter, Mrs Cann had also written expressing concern over the recent changes announced by the Hempnall Trust re the manner in which the charities funds would be utilised. The clerk read the letter from the chair of the Hempnall Trust that addressed some of the points. The clerk explained that the parish council does not have the power to affect the trustees decisions. The correct procedure should be to approach the trustees with concerns and if people felt that their concerns were not properly addressed by the trustees they could ask the Charity Commission to look in to the matter. It was agreed that the parish council would pass on the public’s concerns to the trustees.

 

Mr Jones stated that the Charities Act 2006 has removed the presumption of benefit, which must now be proved and in addition the rules re block grants have changed.

 

Mrs Allen encouraged the public to talk to the trustees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IN

McColl’s planning application

Mrs Battye commented on the McColl’s planning application re the Conversion and extension to barn to form residential accommodation. She was concerned re the traffic congestion pertaining to the shop and the school. She stated that the blind access was a danger to pedestrians. Mrs Battye would like the barn to be repaired but did not think residential use was appropriate. These comments were echoed by Mr & Mrs Lincoln.

 

 

Pharmacies and dispensing by doctors

Miss Emery asked and was given clarification as to the issues concerning the consultation of pharmacies and dispensing by doctors

 

 

Noise at McColls

Comments were made that noise was becoming a problem. Mr Hook asked for complaints to be made in writing.

 

 

 

Planning Applications

 

New application since the last meeting:

Mrs Ashford declared an interest in the next application as he employer was dealing with the sale of the premises.

Martin McColl Ltd, Hempnall Stores, The Street, Hempnall - Conversion and extension to barn  to form residential accommodation – Recommended refusal on the same grounds as the last application.

 

Members of the public left the meeting.

 

Mr B Rumsby, Smithy Cottage, The Street, Hempnall - Strip/re-clad roof sloops, repair damage to roof frame, re-build brick facing to structural timber framework and replace joinery timbers to fascia/soffit and barge boards – Recommended approval.

 

Mrs J Tyrrell, The Annexe, 51 Arburgh Rd, The Greens, Hempnall - Retrospective application for a change of use of empty container into a farm shop – Recommended approval.

 

NCC proposes to make and “At Any Time” waiting restriction zone opposite the existing school entrance. Recommended approval.

 

Applications approved since the last meeting:

Mr M McKee, Martoni, Mill Rd, Hempnall - Retrospective application for retention of cedar shed in front garden.

 

ACTION

 

 

 

 

 

 

IN

 

 

 

 

 

IN

 

 

 

IN

 

 

IN

 

Planning Policies

This item was carried fwd.

 

 

DH

Matters arising from previous parish council meetings

 

 

Dog Fouling – Mrs Florance

The clerk had written to Mrs Florance.

 

 

Mr Youngman and insurance

The clerk had written to Mr Youngman.

 

 

Autumn Newsletter

The clerk had drafted and issued.

 

 

 

Boundary Commission Consultation

The clerk had responded to the consultation document.

 

 

 

Housing Core Strategy Consultation

The clerk had responded to the consultation document.

 

 

 

Renewable Green Paper Consultation

The clerk had responded to the consolation.

 

 

 

Hugmore Registration

We await SNC. The clerk to continue to chase.

 

 

IN

 

Hugmore Pond Sale

SNC wrote to Mrs Jones at the end of July to see if she will consider purchasing the pond and reported that they had not had a response, they will follow up. The clerk to monitor.

 

 

 

 

 

IN

Climbing frame painting

Mr. Medlar had completed the first coat but it will require a second in the spring. Mrs Allen to supply the clerk with the bill for the paint.

 

ACTION

RD

LA

Nobb’s Lane

We await NCC, they have advised that they have received the report from the Planning & Transportation Dept following their site visit but they have not received any responses from Shotesham or Woodton Parish Councils so NCC will chase them.  The clerk to monitor.

 

 

 

 

 

IN

River Clearance

The clerk had contacted the Rivers Authority to ensure this was done and the river is now clear.

 

 

 

 

“No dog fouling /golf” sign

The new signs are still to be erected.

 

 

DA

Playing Field tree pruning

Upon inspection the branches of the trees near Mrs Allen’s land were not affecting play and it was agreed not to take any further action.

 

An oak tree is partially blocking one of the floodlights, however, Mr Workman was looking into positioning another light to cover the affected area. Mr Workman to raise this with the football club. It was agreed that the oak tree was a too good to cut back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PW

Ex Recycling Centre

The Clerk reported that SNC were able to make a contribution for hosting the Mini Recycling Centres in Hempnall and at Hempnall Green.  Based on current guidelines they pay £200 per site.  This will be an annual payment but may vary. £400 had been received for 2008/9.

 

 

 

Smithy Cottage Corner

The clerk had written to Highways in support of Mr Rumsby’s and informed Mr Rumsby thereof. New road markings and signage were now in place and Highways were intending to monitor the situation to see if these were effective. Highways had indicated that changes to the pavement were not out of the question however it would need to be added to the schedule of works and a realistic timescale would be 2 years.

 

It was unanimously agreed that the outcome of NCC’s monitoring would be awaited.

 

 

 

 

 

Football club container

The clerk had written to SNC to establish the planning permission requirements and reported as follows: The siting of a metal container as described would not in itself require planning permission as it is not a structure.  SNC does, however, have the power to take action against the siting of such containers if it were to consider them a visual nuisance under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. They suggest that it may therefore be appropriate if we can provide details of exactly where we wish to site the container and the details of the container itself so that its visual impact can be minimised so as to avoid s215 being an issue.

 

 

Public Notice Board Restoration

Mr Cracknell had voluntarily repaired the board and tidied up the whole of the parish sign area. The clerk to write to Mr Cracknell to thank him.

 

 

 

IN

 

 

 

 

Back Lane Willow Trees & Fencing

Councillors had  looked at the situation on site and reported that every other one would be coppiced and this procedure would be alternated once the coppiced trees had grown again.  Mr Hook to liaise with Mark Havers for a quote.

 

The clerk to contact NCC re the damaged fencing and mention “Deep Water Signs”

 

ACTION

 

 

DH

 

IN

Car park litter bin

The Clerk had liaised with SNC and following their site visit they had agreed to empty litter bins on parish council’s behalf FOC every Friday.

 

 

 

 

Public Telephone Removal

The clerk had registered with BT the parish council’s interest in the box. BT had informed the clerk that if it is decided that the box is not going to be removed, they will request a repaint and repair to the kiosk. The clerk to monitor. The clerk also confirmed that SNC had stated that no planning permissions were required on the change of ownership/use.

 

 

 

 

IN

Correspondence

 

Information Packs

The items placed in the information pack envelope circulated to all Councillors on 19th November 2008 were:

 

CPRE Voice Autumn 2008

Consultation with parish and town clerks -agenda

Countryside Voice magazine

Clerks & Councils Direct issue 60

The Miracle Times

CPRE Stop the Drop litter and fly-tipping starter pack

 

No further matters were raised form the above.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Items given directly to Councillors or representatives  since the last main  meeting were:

Invitation to Open Day Highway Operations Ketteringham and Watton Depots

Inspire East Newsletter - September 2008

Birthday Honours 2009

September Signpost

Chief Executive Arrangements at South Norfolk Council

Emergency Management Seminar

Parish Crime Statistics for September 2008

Norfolk County Council public information: A140 junction improvement at Tasburgh

Member/Parish Councillor Planning Training
SNC’s response to the Boundary Committee

Norfolk Community Foundation - Grassroots Grants

Notice of Association Area Meeting re Community Cohesion

Community Development Network items

Inspire East Newsletter - October 2008

Parish Crime Stats. October 2008

Green Paper “From the Neighbourhood to the National: Policing our Communities Together

Various papers from Stella Rice

 

No further matters were raised form the above.

 

 

 

 

 

Items placed directly onto the parish notice boards were:

Notice/Agenda for 19th November meeting.

Poster SNC Halloween event

Poster SNC Fungi Walk & Workshop

Notice/Agenda for 29th September 2008 parish council committee meeting.

SNC Family Fun Days posters

 

No further matters were raised form the above. 

 

 

 

 

ACTION

Website

To date there have been 7019 hits on the site.

 

Added Parish Council draft minutes of 16th September 2008.

Made Parish Council minutes of 16th July 2008.final.

Added Notice/Agenda for 19th November 2008 parish council meeting.

Autumn newsletter

Added Notice/Agenda for 29th September 2008 parish council committee meeting.

 

No further matters were raised from the above.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclosed at Meeting

Correspondence read out by the clerk at the meeting not covered elsewhere was as follows:

 

 

Gypsy & Traveller Development Plan Document

SNC had circulated the version post the initial consultation stage. As it incorporated the parish council’s original comments no further comments were made.

 

 

Consultation on the making and enforcement of byelaws

Communities and Local Government had circulated the version post the initial consultation stage. As it incorporated the parish council’s original comments no further comments were made.

 

 

Community Speed Watch Scheme

Annette Hudson had emailed to state that she and Mr Lloyd were investigating taking forward this project.

 

 

Consultation on Pharmacies and Dispensing

The government are thinking of changing concerning where patients can collect their medicines. Currently patients who live more than one mile from a chemist can get their medicines from the doctor, however some of the new options would stop this practice.

 

It was unanimously agreed that option one be recommended, and a copy of the response sent to the MP.

 

 

 

 

 

 

IN

Nomination of Trustee for The Hempnall Trust

The chairman of the above had written to state that the council’s representative, Judith Buck, had retired from her position. The clerk to write to Mrs Buck to thank her for her service.

 

It was agreed to put a note in the newsletter to ask for volunteers making it clear that the parish council only appoint a trustee and do not run the trust. Mrs Allen would like to approach two people first. Miss Emery would also ask an individual.

 

 

 

 

IN

 

 

IN

LA

Keep Norfolk Local

A new website www.keepnorfolklocal.com and campaign had been started by SNC and other district councils to help fight against Unitary status. SNC had also mounted a legal challenge the results of which will not be known for some weeks.

 

 

 

 

Footpath 12

Mr Rose to identify the owner of the field so a response can be made to NCC Country Access Officer.

 

ACTION

 

HR

Financial Statements

 

Movements since last meeting

The clerk presented the financial statement attached to these minutes showing the movements from 17th September to 19th November 2008. The statement was in line with the annual budget Mrs Ashford proposed, Mr Rose seconded and it was unanimously agreed that the statement be approved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Norfolk Accident & Rescue

Mrs Allen proposed, Mrs Ashford seconded and it was unanimously agreed that a donation of £25.00 should be made to the above. The clerk to arrange.

 

 

 

 

IN

 

Playing field Users Association Report

Carried forward.

 

 

Play Area Report

Carried forward.

 

SNC play area inspection

The clerk had liaised with Mr Ellis and supplied a copy of the report to him. The clerk presented the meeting with costings provided by Mr Ellis.

 

 

 

 

 

RD

 

Freedom Of Information Model Publication Scheme

Mr Rose proposed, Mrs Allen seconded and it was unanimously agreed that In line with section 20 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the new model publication scheme developed and approved by the Information Commissioner be adopted. The clerk to inform the relevant body.

 

 

 

 

 

IN

Date for next years main meetings

It was agreed that they should be:

  • 14th January 2009
  • 18th March 2009
  • 20th May 2009
  • 15th July 2009
  • 16th September 2009
  • 18th November 2009

 

The clerk to book the Nelson Suit of the village hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

 

IN

 

Items for next main meeting agenda

  • Conservation area
  • Precept

 

 

 

 

IN

Wind Farm

Mrs Allen declared a pecuniary interest in the Wind farm item and left the meeting.

 

Mrs Ashford declared an interest but remained in the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr Hook reported that the working group would be making a recommendation in the near future.

 

 

 

 

ACTION

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 10.10pm.

 

 

 

 

Signed ____________________________________________Date 14th January 2009

 

 

FINANCIAL STATEMENT

 

 

Presented to meeting on 19th November 2008

 

 

 

 

 

Current Account

 

 

(Payments)/Receipts  since last meeting :

 

 

 

 

 

 

17/09/2008

Tr BPA to c/a

 

800.00

25/10/2008

CPRE Membership

 

(28.00)

17/09/2008

Postage

 

(1.89)

17/09/2008

Microsoft - MS Office 2007 upgrade

 

(17.31)

17/09/2008

Extra RAM to cope with above

 

(19.99)

17/09/2008

J Ellis - repairs to play equipment

 

(543.00)

17/09/2008

Ian Smith grass cutting

 

(194.48)

17/09/2008

Ian Smith grass cutting

 

(194.48)

17/09/2008

Mazars - External Audit fee

 

(158.62)

25/09/2008

Precept

 

5,215.00

09/10/2008

Tr c/a to BPA

 

(5,000.00)

10/10/2008

Recycling centre income

 

400.00

11/10/2008

Tr BPA to c/a

 

1,200.00

06/10/2008

Norfolk County Services - Grass Cutting

(550.25)

06/10/2008

Ian Smith grass cutting

 

(474.72)

30/09/2008

Ian Nelson Salary

 

(807.68)

15/09/2008

MHB Services Ltd - Streetlight Maint

 

(12.11)

22/09/2008

Barclays - bank charge re storage

 

(1.00)

29/10/2008

Eon - Streetlight electricity

 

(23.21)

31/10/2008

MHB Services Ltd - Streetlight Maint

 

(12.11)

 

 

 

(423.85)

 

 

 

 

Closing Balance

 

235.52

 

 

 

 

Business Premium Account

 

 

(Payments)/Receipts  since last meeting :

 

 

 

 

 

 

17/09/2008

Tr BPA to c/a

 

(800.00)

15/09/2008

Interest BPA

 

1.17

09/10/2008

Tr c/a to BPA

 

5,000.00

01/10/2008

Interest IAS

 

9.17

11/10/2008

Tr BPA to c/a

 

(1,200.00)

06/10/2008

Interest NSIB

 

47.42

31/10/2008

Interest IAS

 

23.79

05/11/2008

Interest NSIB

 

46.94

 

 

 

3,128.49

 

 

 

 

Closing Balance

 

9,554.63